Monday, August 22, 2011

Go Green Classroom Decoration and Project

So, up until today I was so full of energy to start my new school year, then I went to get my work laptop computer from my car in the garage this morning (I know I shouldn't have left it there!) when I discovered that it was gone, as in stolen!  Next I find out that my employer doesn't insure against theft even though my school said we had to take our work computers home for the summer.  I am now the one liable for what happened and had to claim it on my home owner's insurance.  I am devestated and don't know where I will come up with the money for this!  Anyone who is a teacher at a small school (not a public school), can share my pain.  So....how do I come up with classroom bulletin boards and some easy ideas that don't break the bank in my current situation you ask?  I turn to my cricut and my scrap stash for some support and much needed creative outlet for this stress!!!!!


Here is what I came up with, I hope it inspires you to "Paint the Earth Green, the Woodland's Way" and try to use up your scraps!  I used some older paper that I had on hand, but it coordinated perfectly with the Go Green theme (DCWV The Green Stack which is made from 70% recycled paper!!!!)  and the Give a Hoot Cricut Cartridge.  If you have a gypsy it makes it super easy to plan out your project and make multiple cuts a cinch!  I had 17 different pages in my project (not all of this are seen here).  Enjoy!
This will be a neat back to school project for my students.  I made the earth is a gift image from the Give a Hoot cart at fit to page and layered it up.  I cut the matching phrase at fit to page as well and shadowed it.  These will go on my classroom door... then I cut from the Cricut sweet treats cartridge a present at 5" and then on my gypsy flipped the image and welded it to make a small present card.  I cut the matching bow layer and then the matching tag on kraft paper at 2.75".  I cut the layer for the tag in white and inked it with Tim Holtz Broken China distress ink (love this cool blue color!) Then I stamped the To: and From: with Memento Rich Cocoa ink from My Pink Stamper's Christmas set from last season.  I wrote in with a Dk Brown Bic Marker that the gift is To: Earth.  Each child will have their name on one of the gifts where it is stamped "From:".  Inside, they will write about the gifts they appreciate from Earth (sunshine, plants, clean water, mountains, forests, snowflakes,etc....whatever inspires them from the natural world and tell one thing they will do to help better our planet and protect these gifts....So hope my third and fourth graders are ready to think when we start next week, because I like to dig deep into who they are and help them develop a sense of who they will become.... now to get some sleep and forget about my nightmare of a day with the theft of my work computer!!!!

Always,
Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment